Flawless makeup!!! No filter makeup !!! Instagram skin!!! How does one figure out how to get that flawless base without investing in an expensive makeup course or 2,000 hours searching through (mostly useless) youtube videos. Well lucky for you, we are here to help! It is only a perfect foundation technique that makes the entire makeup look fabulous, and the best part is, its not that hard, its all about 3 golden steps. Read on to find out.
First things first….
Choose the Right Application Tool
The choice of makeup tools for foundation application and blending is based on your individual comfort level. Each tool has its own advantages, and the one you choose really depends on your likes and dislikes.
- Brush: good for liquid and cream foundation application, and ideal to reach small crevices along the face.
- Sponge: good for liquid foundation application and seamless foundation blending
- Finger: good for mousse and cream foundation application. Fingers tend to warm and melt the foundation, which helps the foundation to blend easily
Pick the Right Foundation Based on Your Skin Type and Undertone
- Normal skin: use both water-based and oil-based foundations
- Oily Skin: use water-based, oil-free matte foundations, powder-based and minerals foundations
- Dry Skin: use oil-based, creamy foundations. Please avoid matte foundations as they will give you a dull look.
- Combination Skin: use oil-free foundations with moisturization
- Cool skin tones: the veins on your wrist appear blue in sunlight, and the skin turns pink under the sun. If your skin has cool undertones, find a foundation that’s more pink-toned.
- Warm Skin Tones: veins on the wrist appear green in sunlight, and the skin turns dark under the sun. If your skin has warm undertones, select a foundation shade that is more yellow or golden.
- Neutral Skin Tones: equal number of green and blue veins. You can choose both pink toned and yellow toned foundations.
Prepare the skin by cleansing, toning and moisturizing. Apply primer, and correct and conceal as per your skin condition (click here to learn the art of concealing).
The 3 Step Application Technique
Refer to the face chart below. The pink patches are where you need to spot apply the foundation and the arrows are the direction in which you need to blend.
Step 1: Warm the Foundation
Warm the foundation by pouring over the back of your hand. This step will ensure easy blending on the skin.
Step 2: Apply
- Start from the centre of the face and moving outwards and downwards in small strokes (refer to the chart above).
- Spread the foundation up to the hairline, behind the ear and up to the neck. It is important to keep the brush or finger perpendicular to the skin so that there would be no harsh lines.
Step 3: Blend
- Blend in a circular motion.
- If you use a beauty blender or sponge make sure you dampen it for smooth application.
- Always apply in a fast patting motion to ensure seamless foundation.
Hope you enjoyed the 3 step Quick & Easy Foundation application technique. Comment below and let us know what els we can guide you on. Your beauty wish us our command.