A foundation is the most basic part of a full makeup routine, but with the mention of foundation codes, can be a daunting task because we don’t know what they mean – unless you’re a professional makeup artist. So now you know that there are some basic codes that every brand follows to name their foundation and categorize them on the basis of these codes. Many brands give a guide or chart to select the perfect shade for you according to those codes. However , If you are already aware or are given information about what these codes are telling you, then it will easier for you to select your colour.
CLASSIFICATION OF FOUNDATION CODES
Generically, all foundations codes have basically 2 units. The first unit describes the undertone of the skin and the second unit shows what the tone of the skin. So, all foundation codes are classified according to:
- skin understone
- skin tone
CODES USED FOR THE UNDERTONE OF THE SKIN
The most common codes to describe the undertone of the skin are:
- C – denotes a cool undertone. It is for skin with yellow or golden-olive skin tone.
- NC – denotes a neutral Cool undertone. It is for skin with a slight golden glow.
- N – denotes a neutral underone. it is best for Beige skin.
- W – denotes a warm undertone. It is best for skin with pinkish tone.
- NW – denotes a neutral warm undertone. It is best for skin with Pink beige tone.
*Most common Skin undertone in Pakistan is yellow.
CODES USED FOR THE TONE OR SHADE OF THE SKIN
The tone of the skin is basically classified as light, medium, deep or dark. Here come two different types of codes.
- Numerical Digits
- Names of Shades
The foundation with numerical digits (1,2,3 …) denotes the shade of the foundation. as the number increases the shades go darker. Mostly foundation codes with numerical digit 1 in code denote the light shades e.g 110,120 etc. Similarly, the codes with the numerical digit 2 denote the medium shades and numerical digit 3 for dark/deep shades.
- Porcelain – whitish
- Nude – warm whitish
- Ivory -off white
- Nude Beige – pale sandy fawn color
- Buff Beige – pale yellow-brown color
- Creamy Beige – a yellow tone to white.
- Dessert – deep shade of beige
- Sandy Beige – pale to grayish yellow
- Natural Beige –
- Buff – pale yellow-brown color
- Golden Beige – Yellow brown with golden touch
- Sun Beige – Dark Yellow Brown Shade
Deep/ Dark Shades
- Honey – Tan yellow-brown shade
- Caramel – Warm Tan Shade
- Mocha – Brown with warm undertone
- Cappucino – Brown with cool undertone
- Tan – Deep brown Shade
THE VARIETY OF SHADES
Every brand offers a variety of shades to pick and choose from. Still, if you’re unable to find the perfect shade for your skin, you can combine two or more shades to make your own perfect shade. Also, there are foundation lightening and darkening drops also available at makeup counters to adjust your shade as per your skin tone. Just remember that, the best way to find your shade requires a hit and trial to wear the right colour.
So, there you have it, girls – a guide on the codes of the foundation. It may take a while for you to get used to these codes if you’re not a professional, however, practice makes a man perfect. So, don’t use the wrong code, and flaunt a flawless makeup look! Moreover, if you want to have 1:1 session for makeup codes perfect for you, book an appointment with our beauty consultant to know the best foundation for you.