Are you still not wearing sunscreen? Did you know that if you’re not going to wear sunscreen you will likely to experience wrinkles, dark circles, breakouts, hyper-pigmentation & premature aging! WHO WANTS THAT? We clearly don’t!
So let us tell you why sunscreen needs to be your best friend!
WHAT IS SUNSCREEN?
Sunscreen, can come as sunblock, sun cream or sun lotion, that protects you from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) radiation and thus helps protect against sunburn and tan.
Melanin is the pigment that gives skin its color. Light skin tones have less melanin as compared to dark skin tones. So when the skin is hit by the UV rays, the body’s natural mechanism starts producing more melanin to protect against skin damage. However, that extra produced melanin makes skin tan, which is more common in the darker skin tones.
Fairer skin tones are more likely to get a sunburn when exposed to UV rays. The redness that shows up when skin is exposed to UV rays is because of the increase blood flow to the area that is damaged.
Both tan and burnt area is the sign that the skin is damaged and will continue to be damaged when exposed to sun.
You should look for a sunscreen that has protection for both UVA and UVB.
UVA rays goes inside the skin more deeply reaching to 2nd layer of skin, causing skin aging, actinic damage (wrinkled, leathery, variously pigmented skin) that may lead to skin cancers.
UVB rays usually depend on sun’s location that how sun might affect your skin. UVB rays effect the outer skin causing sunburns, hyperpigmentation & discoloration on your skin.
UVC is harmful to your skin in smaller wavelengths so UVC rays can be protected though UVC is not a concern because it does not pass through the ozone layer and thus does not reach the skin.
What should you do?
- Use an spf 30 & spf 50 sunscreen with the active ingredient zinc oxide, a sunscreen ingredient that blocks rays. Zinc oxide protects against both uva and uvb rays.
- Spf 30 or SPF 50 sunscreen, reapply every two hours and use the right amount
- Stay in the shade when possible.
- Wear sunglasses or take umbrella with you to prevent your eyes and face from sun damage.
How to wear sunscreen
You’ve now realized that sunscreen is something you can’t miss so use these tips on the best way to wear sunscreen from the experts.
- Apply the sunscreen 15 to 30 minutes before you go out in the sun. Girls, sunscreen can be applied under makeup.
- Don’t forget these spots, like the tips of your ears, your arms & your feet.
- Since your lips can also get sunburned and discoloration on your lips, it is recommended to use a uv-protective lip balm and reapply it regularly.
Sun is very harsh for your skin and you definitely wouldn’t want skin problems just because of sun, right? We understand your concerns that’s why we seriously say, sunscreen is your best friend!
Comment below if you would like to recommend a sunscreen!